Learn About Us
THE SAFE PETS SAFE FAMILIES STORY
Founded in 2013 by Jennifer Howard, Safe Pets Safe Families is a not-for-profit registered charity providing support through programs and services to pet owners in the South Australian community facing disadvantage or crisis, such as domestic violence, homelessness, mental illness or a medical emergency.
Founder Jennifer Howard started Safe Pets Safe Families after surviving her own experience of domestic violence. Sadly, Jennifer did not have a choice on whether to keep her beloved dogs when she fled to safety with her children. Her only option was to surrender them to a shelter where she fears they may have been euthanised unnecessarily.
DID YOU KNOW?
Over 70% of women reporting domestic violence incidents said
their abusers threatened, hurt or killed their pets.
DID YOU KNOW?
Over 70% of women reporting domestic violence incidents said their abusers threatened, hurt or killed their pets.
We work with people and pets in crises to improve outcomes and reduce the occurrence of surrender, animal abuse, neglect and euthanasia. We actively assist our clients in finding safe housing and provide strategies to reduce the incidence of intergenerational poverty.
- We provide care with dignity
- We demonstrate respectful and honest relationships
- We provide fair and equitable access to our service
- We are flexible in our care approach and adapt to meet individual needs
- We respect and value the human-animal bond
- We support and encourage continual learning
- We work to get the best outcomes for our clients and their pets